Thursday, April 25, 2013

Finding Time to Write

When I've told friends and family about my progress with my writing one of the first comments I get is "I don't know how you find the time to do it." Like many, if not most or all, writers of independent books right now I have a 9-5 to pay the bills and being a full time writer is still a fairly long off goal.

A benefit of my job is that I do work in books. Not high enough to pull some clout with a publisher, but I do manage a book store. I work Tuesday through Saturday every week and I get up most days about two and a half hours before I leave for work so that I have at least an hour of that time to dedicate to writing. This has been the number one thing that's gotten me to finish Awake My Soul when I did, or if at all. I write some nights, but 90% of the book has come from those early mornings.

Before I pushed myself to get up every day, I would complain I didn't have the time, couldn't manage it. It was the easy way out and honestly it was to keep myself from trying and then failing. 

My real hope is that I will have more days to dedicate solely to writing in the future, but right now I'm okay with mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment